Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Book Review: Wicked

Wicked by Gregory Maguire is thoroughly entertaining. If you love "The Wizard of Oz" and want it's story and characters to remain forever unchanged, then don't even bother reading this review any further, let alone the book. After reading Wicked I can guarantee that The Land of Oz will become a rich, entangled landscape and it's heroines enigmatic. 
Not one character or people of the world of OZ escape Maguire's stain. You will feel endearment, enchantment, fear and disdain toward all of the Witches - particularly Glinda (the "Good") and Elphaba (the "Wicked"). Dorothy and her despised-by-everyone Toto, as well as the Tinman, the Lion and the Scarecrow are nearly afterwords to the novel and draw little, if any sympathy from the reader.
I must admit that I have never read L. Frank Baum's books covering the Land of Oz and I am sure he provides greater detail of the peoples and individuals inhabiting it. I am willing to bet, however, that Maquire has wrested out Baum's juvenile magic and has breathed life into Oz, providing it with human passions.

WIcked is definitely worth the read. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hacking Into the Past

In my youth, I would take apart various electronic games, un-soldering and re-soldering them, and taking pride in the fact that that the suc...